|May 26th, 2009 – the DPEO and the ADRF launch the study “Disabled women: included or forgotten?"|
On May 26th 2009, the DPEO in cooperation with ADRF, launched the study entitled:
“Disabled women: included or forgotten?”. This study was supported by USAID and was based on the interviews of the main actors involved in the drafting, implementation and monitoring of policies regarding disabled women at both central and local levels. An important component of this study was the interviews conducted with NGOs representing disabled women. Some of the main problems and recommendations that resulted from this study include:
• There are no specific policies or studies that address the problems of disabled women. (recommended)
• There are no specific data regarding disabled women. The reason is that there is no detailed system of statistical gender indicators. A well-coordinated monitoring system is lacking. Such a situation leads to shortcomings in the reporting process, leaving no space for reporting the gender aspect in all policies applied for specific fields.
• Despite the sporadic attempts by special institutions, there is still no database of DP and consequently, no database of disabled women. There are data regarding the services and social protection as well as some sporadic data in the area of employment and vocational training.
• There are some specific programs for disabled women that are implemented on the local level, and which follow central policies. These programs deal mainly with the provision of social services, employment and vocational training.
• All policies concerning DP, as well as all other cross-cutting policies should mainstream the gender component, and especially that of disabled women.
• All projects of NGOs representing the interests of DP must devote special attention to disabled women.
• Similarly, projects that deal with women’s rights in general must devote special attention to disabled women, since it is one of the high risk groups in terms of enjoying their human rights.
• In parallel, there is need for greater attention from donors regarding projects that specifically aim to improve the status of disabled women.
DOKUMENTAT POLITIKE KOMBËTARE PËR BARAZI GJINORE DHE DHUNËN NË FAMILJE
Strategjia Kombtare per Barazi Gjinore dhe Dhunen ne Familje