|First National Meeting of Gender Focal Points in Albania|
The first national meeting of gender focal points working at the municipalities across Albania, was held on 27 - 28 April 2009, in Tirana. This meeting was organized in the framework of the project “Equality in Governance” (EiG) by the Albanian Municipalities Association in collaboration with the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities /Directorate for Policies on Equal Opportunities.
The aim of the meeting was to convene all gender equality employees working at the municipalities across Albania and the main collaborators involved in gender equality issues in the country.
The meting was attended by 42 participants including municipality employees, civil employees of the central government and donors’ representatives. Other than providing key information on legal issues and the tasks, responsibilities and activities of the gender equality focal points, the meeting also aimed at strengthening the participants’ role as advocates of gender equality and promoters of regional networks.
Specific objectives of the meeting:
a) Explain and ensure information on the law regulating gender equality and domestic violence;
b) Discuss on the importance of the law “On gender equality in society” for the local government and the work of gender equality employees.
c) Provide information on the objectives of the National Strategy on Gender Equality and against Domestic Violence (NSGE/DV).
d) Define the powers of gender focal points and their role in the local government unit;
e) Enhance knowledge on the use of specific indicators related to gender equality;
f) Identify actual needs of gender equality employees and future perspectives;
g) Establish a national network of gender equality employees.
The methodology used was based on a participating approach. There were many methods used such as: brainstorming, big group discussions, small working groups, work group presentations, etc. in order to ensure an active participation of the participants. The majority of the participants however were municipality employees holding positions mainly in the social sector.
During these two days, a friendly atmosphere was established between the working groups. The participants from Bajram Curri, Kukësi, Koplik, Shkodra, Lezha, Rubik, Rrëshen, Burrel, Klos, Bulqiza, Peshkopia and Kruja had also participated in a special training on gender equality as part of the “Equality in Governance” project. Others had participated in local trainings on the law “On measures against violence in family relations” and the law “On gender equality in society”.
The meeting continued with other discussions about the legal framework on gender equality and its importance for the local government.
• Legislation related to gender equality and domestic violence – what its means for local government;
• Terms of reference for gender focal points (GFP) and the importance of establishing a GFP network;
• National Strategy on Gender Equality and Prevention of Domestic Violence 2008-2010”;
• Indicators of gender equality and domestic violence, “Discussion of the preliminary draft”.
Very concrete recommendations for the next GFP meeting were:
• Mayors should participate in conferences and meetings of this kind;
• There should be an awareness raising campaign on gender equality and domestic violence organised through the media prior to the second national GFP conference;
• The LGU gender focal points should have been officially appointed prior to the second GFP conference;
• In the next meeting the GFP should be asked to present reports on what they have done at the LGU they have been assigned to with regards to gender equality since the first meeting;
• The second GFP meeting should focus on the daily work of the GFPs, the practical solutions and examples for improving work performance;
• Have more meetings on the same topic;
• Use GFP meetings as platforms for exchanging experiences and especially for presenting, discussing and developing best practices.
The work done in this first national meeting of GFP may be considered as one of the first necessary steps in establishing a functional regional network of GFP in Albania.
DOKUMENTAT POLITIKE KOMBËTARE PËR BARAZI GJINORE DHE DHUNËN NË FAMILJE
Strategjia Kombtare per Barazi Gjinore dhe Dhunen ne Familje